View Single Post
Old 21-08-2017, 12:35 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
Hi Dayna,

I hear what "sil" is saying about the table-top dob: it is a great little entry scope, but the problem for children is that it can't really be used for terrestrial viewing, with its upside-down views- and you can bet that a 4 yo will want to look at anything she can during the day!
Wrong wrong wrong wrong. Its a better than entry level scope, much higher quality. Size doesnt make it entry level. Even though I was using a $15k scope I bought this and used it far more often, its optically capable and no stuffing about in the dark and no bother with collimation. Gives nice crisp point sharp views. It performs WAY above its price point.

Erecting eyepieces are cheap if "upside down" puts you off. plus you're looking DOWN on a tabletop dob so upside down is a matter of where YOU stand to look anyway. Poor assumption, while I speak from experience of this scope with several 2-4yos. Its an aluminium tube with a thick mirror glass in one end, pretty tolerant of small clumsy hands and something YOU can use if she loses interest. Certainly not a toy or incapable piece of equipment.