View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

hey fellas, your already asking the questions that i have answered and shown to work.

Justin just because you can "see the mirror" doesn't mean anything really, you are loosing a lot of your light cone with the standard Minor axis secondary being sub 60mm in a 10" your losing out before you start.

My flats show the big difference and I know that i need to go to the 88mm MA secondary if i want to fully illuminate my 40d sensor minus the vignetting due to the MPCC. For example a VC200L has a 46% Central obstruction where as the SW Dob has a 26% central obstruction, difference is one is made for photography and has a fully illuminated and corrected where as the dob is tuned for visual.

Most of the factory large mirror newts are generally not designed for photography and it shows in the GSOs with them not coming to focus with DSLRS let alone CCD's with Filter wheels and Active optics.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=59178

I have done a lot of upgrades now to the 10" with the only things left in it that are Sky watcher being the Tube, Mirror, dob mountings, quick release foot and the finder scope itself. Bugger all really.

If you want to do it do it right straight up don't fiddle around with long primary bolts. if they where good then you would see them on places like Gemini and Mt Palomar ect ect. they introduce flexure and a whole heap of other nasties unless you go stupid and put massive bolts in there ect ect. thats just my 2 cents worth.