View Single Post
Old 28-09-2005, 04:15 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Hi guys.

Anthony, I'm still in 2 minds weather I did the right thing by choosing the 152mm over the 127mm. I had no doubt the 127 would have been better as far as 'violet fringing' was concerned, given it's slightly longer FL ratio. I just found it impossible to throw the chance away of owning a refractor that was bigger than the 127mm lol.

I love this refractor a lot though, the violet fringing I can ignore/put up with. I use aperture masks & fringe killers a lot on venus & jupiter. used in the right combinations, they completely elliminate violet fringing. DSOs are simply marvellous thru this scope. I'm definately sold on refractors, I just think the view thru a refractor is so much better than a newt. No diffraction spikes, stars pin-point, etc etc. I regularly split antares with it more often than not.

I've spent a lot of time collimating this scope, & finally it's that close to perfect, I'm totally satisfied. I use this scope more often than my 12.5" newt....It's just far more convenient to set-up & use. Taking nothing away from the 12.5" here! I love that scope too!

Tha't a neat pedestal mount under your 5"...Home-made? I've been thinking of doing this too. Certainly miles ahead of the EQ5 tripod!

Steve, I'll be selling the refractor (not because I want to...I'm dreading the day!) Can't take it with me to the US. Perhaps you might be interested when the time comes. It deserves to go to a really good home!