View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am seriously thinking of setting up a pier for my scope if I can decide on a good place to put it. Apart from anything else, with the tripod legs out of the picture I could sit close to the scope more easily but it would also let me set up an easel to mount a clipboard on for some sketching paper. It would also let me set it up to EQ mount it.

Strangely enough when I bought the scope I was thinking of purely visual observing for enjoyment, but I think I would like to try my hand at sketching as well.

Regards the cheats mount. My justification for the goto scope was that it is going to take me time to learn the sky in depth and while I am doing that, the goto means more time looking at it and less looking for it! The tracking function is also great, once properly aligned (Easy and quick) it tracks things rock solid for hours at a time, put Saturn in the middle of the FOV and go away for half an hour and there is is still well in the FOV when you come back. Love it.

I would admit though that I would learn more about finding things if I had a Dob. At some point my intention is to start nights by aligning the mount so it tracks and then ignore it and find things by manually slewing and starhopping.