View Single Post
Old 31-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Phoenix (Steve)
Happy Sensing!

Hi folks, and especially to other newbies, just joined the ISS forum and thought I would say a quick hello. I’ve had a long time interest in astronomy (emphasis on ‘interest’ rather than actually learning anything), which commenced in my teens after a school trip to the Flinders Ranges. As I am sure many of you have experienced, as a young kid viewing Saturn through a small refractor for the first time in dark skies really knocked my socks off. Unfortunately, my interest diminished quickly thereafter due to other priorities, like working a stupid number of hours to make very little money…. or was it girls? Anyway, some 20 years on and I am attempting to ‘resurrect’ my interest in astronomy and telescope making, which seemed to crash and burn all those years ago (hence the user name). My old 6” Newtonian has seen better days so I have taken the plunge and Mark Suchting from DS Optics is currently figuring a 15” mirror for me and I will soon start my foray into dob building (using David Kriege’s book and many other references as a guide). While this scope will primarily be used for visual observations, I have a professional background in environmental remote sensing and I am hoping to apply some basic terrestrial image processing techniques to planetary and DSO observations. I’ve had a go with some nice Jupiter data kindly supplied by iceman in his thread ‘Make your own Jupiter from my data’ with some satisfactory results but hope to make some more constructive contributions in the future. Nice to speak with you all - Happy sensing!

Cheers
Nix