Thread: Westerlund 2
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2014, 11:25 PM
simmo

No worries Dana. Good luck with hunting it down. I had another look at it last night which seemed a little clearer than Saturday night and this time I could definitely see pinpoints of stars with averted vision. Would be interested to hear from you on whether the cluster and nebula are in fact related. Seeing the cluster is young you would surmise that there could be some star forming nebulosity close by. Unless of course due to its mass the cluster has absorbed most of the nebulosity that formed it.

Also I wondered if Westerlund 1 would be visible due to it being covered by the Milky Way. I couldn't find any observation reports anywhere from amateur astronomers, only professionals who had X-ray findings/data. My sky safari 4 plus has it listed only through the search function. There is no visual magnitude given and the data is a little vague. It rises quite late here at the moment, however, I like you Dana and others perhaps will be quite interested in investigating it in the following months.