View Single Post
Old 23-09-2020, 02:38 AM
DeepSkyBagger (Patrick)
Astro Pom

OK, thanks for the enthusiasm. I'll start with three, just to see how they go. They may be a bit large and I may have to reduce them in size a bit. Please tell me if they're too big.

1. NGC 6853 (M27) Vul.
Huge and very bright. The brightest area was the southern half of the 'dumbbell', which was an irregular oval in shape. This had uneven surface brightness and several brighter knots. The northern dumbbell was larger and more triangular in shape. The 13.8 mag central star was clearly seen with averted vision and appeared to be in a slightly darker inclusion.

2. NGC 3242 Hya.
Very, very bright. The object responds well to the OIII filter. At x150 the nebula is clearly slightly elongated and there are hints of annularity. At x450 a darker centre is seen, with a brighter patch on the south side of the nebula. A thin outer area of pale nebulosity can also be seen. Amazing.

3. NGC 7293 Aqr.
Not visible without the OIII filter in place. Huge and dim. Obvious but quite difficult to pin down the elusive details. The outer edge of the ring is almost circular, whilst the inner edge appears more elliptical. There is a distinctly brighter patch in the north-east segment of the ring, and fainter areas at the extremities. (Bear in mind that I made this observation from southern Scotland. The object was transiting and had reached its maximum altitude of 15 degrees above the horizon.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M27 - 9637.jpg)
119.9 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (NGC 3242-1412HPN.jpg)
77.3 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (NGC 7293-15184.jpg)
94.7 KB30 views