View Single Post
Old 21-07-2020, 08:27 PM
luka
Unregistered User

The mount does not need more than 12V to function, I am using mine with a 12V power supply and never had an issue. The manual actually specifies 11V-15V, however lots of people had issues using the lower voltages. Lots of cheap supplies out there probably could not provide stable current resulting in a voltage drop and hence the mount issues.

Is the mount "skipping" during slewing? During slewing it pulls most of the current. If it is slewing fine I doubt that the power supply will cause issues while tracking/guiding when it is using much less power.

If voltage is a problem the red light on the mount should flash. Maybe watch the light when it is misbehaving.

But I doubt the voltage is the issue here. If the mount suddenly stopped tracking or the steppers started skipping the star would drift off only in RA and not in DEC as well. But your RA and DEC were basically mirror of each other.

If you are worried about the power supply you could "borrow" the 12V power supply from somewhere in your house. Lost of devices are 12V nowadays. Check your NBN modem, WiFi router etc. As long it has 2A or more it should be fine. And positive tip (which is almost everything).

But as I said I doubt the problem is the power.

Run the mount without guiding and see how it goes. Run it with only RA guiding and see how it goes. Check the guide star. Run guiding assistant. Check guide rate in EQMOD, set it to 0.5 or larger. If using guidescope you can try guiding directly through your telescope (you will need a new profile in PHD2).