Thread: pier
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 10:45 AM
darrellx (Darrell)

Gnat

A bit of a late response, but I am wondering how you are going with this.

I wouldn't give up on the steel pier. It looks like you live in or near Roma. I assume Queensland, if so, there should be a fabrication business there that you could approach with some sketches.

From my experience, most manufactured/commercial options will be quite expensive. I have also looked into the concrete pier option, and by the time I added all the materials (reo bar, mould for the pier etc, concrete), it was also quite expensive. The form tube for the concrete pier was difficult to source in Qld.

I have made my own. For the last 7 or so years, I have run my EQ6 on a 100mm diameter pipe, 860mm high, with a 200mm square base plate 10mm thick, with 4 bolts. The top plate is a circular one and is 15mm thick. Absolutely no movement. I am not sure about the details of your mount.

This week, I have started to work on another pier for a new mount I am looking to buy. I have approached a local steel yard and have purchased a 1 metre length of 165mm diameter pipe 5mm wall, a 300mm square base plate 15mm thick and a circular top plate 215mm in diameter that is 20mm thick. $100. I have a friend who is going to do the welding. I don't think you would need this size material, but it gives an idea on what might be available.

So if you hunt around, you can find reasonably priced steel.

The adapter between the Pier and the mount may be the issue with a manufactured steel option. I am not familiar with Meade.

I have a family friend who lives in Roma and owns a property out on the Carnarvon Highway past the Roma Taroom Rd. I might be able to provide some help if you want to PM.

Thanks
Darrell