View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 04:34 PM
billdan (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogpingvin View Post
Hi Bill, Bill here. This could get confusing.

Hmm, that sounds good. I have done drift alignment with PHD2 before. It's slower but probably more accurate than Polemaster/SharpCap, especially as I'd be using the guide scope. I guess I have to get it roughly aligned first though. Any idea how roughly is practical for drift alignment?
You don't have to use the guide scope to drift align, if you paid for an OAG use that and ditch the guide scope.

To get it roughly aligned from scratch at a new site, you will need a compass and get the mount pointing as close to the Sth pole as possible. The compass points to Magnetic Sth so you will need to point East a further 11 degrees to get the Celestial Sth Pole.

I think the range of adjustment of the AZ bolts on the EQ6 is +/- 3 degrees so you will have to get the tripod pointing within that range.

If this site is going to be repeatable then put some markers on the ground for your tripod to align to. I used some old drill bits and hammered them into the ground with just 10mm showing (I also used fluoro paint so I could see them in the dark) and then butted the tripod legs up against them next time I used that site.

You can use an inclination meter for Elevation but that shouldn't have changed from the last time you used the mount.

Hope this helps
Bill