View Single Post
Old 20-06-2020, 12:23 AM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Just spent the last few hours working on my ASI1600MM and 290MM.
New PC build, trying SGP for the first time.

Couldn't get the 1600MM to cool. Logs showed a generic error that the cooler would not start.
TEC Change: Failed to set cooler temp! Aborting...

PHD2 worked fine with the 290MM though (via ASCOM drivers).

But due to issues below, I changed to ZWO native in the driver list. The first button to the right of the drop down allows you to select what camera to use. Save the profile and it should stick between reloads. It was rock solid for me.

Back to the ASI1600MM though - I tried it in MaximDL as well. Maxim reported "No cooler support". Odd.
Of note, I was using ASCOM drivers in both SGP and MaximDL. Everything looked fine in settings, gain and offset were set and could be changed etc. But no cooler.
I thought it was a bad camera, but then tried the ASIStudio app (native drivers).
And look - cooler works!

Next i noted that in the ASCOM config window, it was reporting the camera as USB2. ASIStudio was showing USB3.

I eventually ran SGP with native ZWO drivers (I could not test in MaximDL, as i have an old version with no ZWO native drivers).
Apart from being prompted every time I start the camera to select a camera, this worked flawlessly.

So I would say be wary of ZWO via ASCOM right now. Interestingly, my old laptop with ASCOM 6.3 works OK, but this new PC with ASCOM 6.4 fails 100% of the time to set the cooler.
Probably driver issues. A few complaints on coolers on Main Sequence forum for ZWO cameras right now as well.

So, I would suggest to try going all native with no ASCOM use for now. But who knows, maybe its just my machine for some reason.