View Single Post
Old 22-11-2011, 09:59 AM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Hi Steve,

I like your clear drawings, but the drawing of the scope makes the pier and mount look pretty small - maybe it's just the perspective. Do you know how heavy your scope and mount will be?

I am thinking that you might want (or need) to beef-up the pipe diameter a little. I used a very similar design with 250 mm bolt spacing on the square plates and found that I needed to use 19 mm bolts (actually threaded rod) rather than 12 mm which resulted in too much flex with my set up. Each threaded rod was 250 mm long, and I had a 8" SCT on a wedge. This arrangement provides a steady platform. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...se.php?a=76330

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly the pipe diameter is all I have, I'm limited on time so I cant easily go looking in scrap yards for larger diameter so I grabbed the largest I could from Direct Steel. I hope it will do however I have always had a plan to build a larger pier If I did come accross a larger diameter pipe. I would use this one for my 6" scope. I agree about the 19mm thread.
I only have a basic drill press which in my opinion runs too fast for that size. I will try some oil when drilling, hope fully that will work. If not im sure i can make a new pulley system and slow things down.