View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 AM
209herschel (Herschel)

Hi Fox,

I've got a GSO undriven Dob 10", focal length 1254, F5. I'm currently using the 30mm superview (which I really enjoy), the 25mm, 15mm and 9mm plossl. These all came with the scope when I bought it from Andrews.

I was thinking of getting the one piece now and then perhaps add to it at the end of the year. I'm leaning toward the 11mm Explore Scientific 82 degrees. I'd love to get the Pentax XW 10mm but I can't afford it.

As a quick aside, I was out last night and found M2 but I couldn't resolve the stars. I just saw a hazy grey circle/slightly elliptical shape. I thought I should be able to see some starts but couldn't, starting with the 30mm and moving to the 9mm. I haven't had much experience with DSOs but at about 1130 last night, M2 was pretty close to the very bright moon. My yard is also pretty light polluted. Are these the kinds of factors that could account for the M2 cluster not showing clear stars?

Thanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Herschel, to put us in the picture, may I ask what equipment you have i.e., scope and focal length, and what EPs you might already own?
Broadly speaking, I think leaning towards making your lowest power eyepiece a wide angle one is not a bad idea for starters. And it's just my opinion here, but I it might be worthwhile to acquire each eyepiece just one at a time. Gaining experience with each successive eyepiece might help guide you which EP to get next, if that makes sense... Cheers, Fox