View Single Post
Old 21-04-2018, 01:04 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

This is my Wife’s Uncle Jimmy....

I copied from Wikipedia...

How thrust is hypothesized to be produced by the Woodward effect. The C represents a capacitor element, L represents an inductor element.
The Woodward effect, also referred to as a Mach effect, is part of a hypothesis proposed by James F. Woodward in 1990.[1] The hypothesis states that transient mass fluctuations arise in any object that absorbs internal energy while undergoing a proper acceleration. Harnessing this effect could generate a reactionless thrust, which Woodward and others claim to measure in various experiments.[2][3]

Hypothetically, the Woodward effect would allow for field propulsion spacecraft engines that would not have to expel matter. Such a proposed engine, is sometimes called a Mach effect thruster (MET) or a Mach Effect Gravitational Assist (MEGA) drive.[4][5] So far, experimental results have not strongly supported this hypothesis,[6] but experimental research on this effect, and its potential applications, continues.[7] The anomalous thrust detected in some RF resonant cavity thruster (EmDrive/Cannae drive) experiments may be explained by the same type of Mach effect proposed by Woodward.[8][9][10]

The Space Studies Institute was selected as part of NASA's Innovative Advanced Concepts program as a Phase I proposal in April 2017 for Mach Effect research.[11][12][13][14] The year after, NASA awarded a NIAC Phase II grant to the SSI to further develop these propellantless thrusters.[15][16]