View Single Post
Old 17-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Terere (Dom)

Hi Chris,

Wow. This is very similar to what got me started. After many years of using an old Pentax from the '60s, that my father gave me, I bought a new mirrorless digital camera. On the first night I though I might turn it at the skies and by an astonishing coincidence happened to get the Carina nebula. I thought to myself, "that was easy", and the bug has been eating me since.

There's a lot you can do with a camera and a tripod. I built myself a cheap and shonky barndoor to put on my tripod and played with that for a year. Sitting there and winding the barndoor manually for minutes at a time is definitely something that would bore all my friends to tears, but I got a kick out of it and persisted like that for a year. That convinced me that if I spent money on a telescope and mount that I would indeed use it.

You can get some great photos with the equipment you have and a few things you build for yourself. It's a steep learning curve, but if you get a kick out of just making out blurry things (like I do) then you'd probably enjoy using a telescope.