View Single Post
Old 22-04-2012, 06:23 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

For a few dollars a 1.25" to 2" eyepiece

Since more than 10 years I have a Vixen LV 30mm (55º AFOV) 1.25" eyepiece which I use mainly as a finder in my Genesis (3º actual FOV). The exit pupil is somewhat large (6mm) so to use the full aperture at f/5 I need a really dark sky which is only available on holiday trips.
Last year during a holiday in France I saw the North America nebula entirely (without UHC) in its field with the Genesis.

Now I discovered that when I remove the 1.25" barrel the AFOV increases to 66º. I checked it as I expected lots of color and distortion errors at the edge. But is wasn't too bad. So I purchased a 40-50mm PVC plumbing adapter socket for $1.30 and lathed off the inside to 45mm to fit the eyepiece into it tightly and then sprayed it black matte with spray paint and ready !

So now I can use the eyepiece in 1.25" mode and screw off the barrel and fit in into the 2" adapter to use it as a 2" eyepiece.
Now the Genesis has a 4º FOV and my Dob a 1.6º FOV. Ok a 31mm Nagler is way better but not the price is a problem, but the weight. I don't want to take a 500g jar / hand grenade on holiday just for casual use. This eyepiece has an adequate quality with 66º AFOV.

http://pix.skysurfer.eu/30mm-1.25-2.jpg