View Single Post
Old 26-08-2014, 09:41 AM
rally

Julie,

I am not sure that sensor size is really an issue.

The highly popular KAF8300 chipped cameras are all 4/3 sensors too, so same size as yours but with less pixels than yours. (meaning slightly larger pixels)

However noise and performance may or may not be in issue - I dont know, but I am sure you could get started with it.

The big issue really is controlling the noise in any DSLR compared to a chilled astro camera. As the chip gets hot while in use it starts producing noise and if the A/D converters and amplifiers get too warm in one corner you start to get a purple glow in that corner
That can be reduced by dark frames or even in camera noise reduction (although for long exposures that will drive you crazy because it takes two shots for every one exposure !)

I know some IISers have used some of the late model Olympus Micro 4/3rds cameras for doing long exposure night scenes and they have performed admirably - but I am not sure how CCD (CMOS) chip performs.

The other thing is control - not sure if the popular software can control these or not. Again I am sure some here will know.

Rally