View Single Post
Old 16-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I know I should not have mentioned the war...but the stars look a little overweight and horizontally smeared...but maybe I can get away with it
Everything you say is true. The horizontal smearing seems something we have to put up with. A much longer total exposure would overwhelm it; it's brought out by a strong stretch. The fat stars are bothering us. We saw periods of reasonable seeing, and periods where (in the 60 seconds available) the guiding was all over the shop, and one frame even looked out of focus. Last night I watched very carefully. Nothing wrong with motor control (0.2 sec arc of requested), the focus motor wasn't jumping about, and guiding was good. Perhaps just bad seeing. But if Santa bought us some adaptive optics, it would have really cleaned it up for the M4.

One good thing to come out of the exercise: We like doing one-hour exposures when doing faint things in NB. What this image shows is that the fat stars are there in the first 60 seconds. It's not the one hour that is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
That globular must have done something naughty .....it is looking rather sheepish

Nice one guys, that glob shines through a fair bit of dust if I am not mistaken, so it would be rather reddened.

Mike
Thanks muchly Mike.

We hope we have captured at least something of the reddening. We've shown it as much more orange-red than most folks do.

Last edited by Placidus; 16-07-2018 at 09:28 AM.