View Single Post
Old 16-07-2012, 11:52 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Home built Serrurier Truss, very light OTA 'frame' (11kg) which requires no added weight at the scope end to balance it. I can slide the dovetail if required for OTA balance. Total weight up with accessories is about 17-18 kg which is well within the mounts capabilty.

I'm lucky in that being up on the south side slope of Mt Albert it just gets me above the city fug enough especially on nights where it blows the clear cold southerlies. I have good SCP visibilty and protected by a ridge and high treees to the east, my CBD direction. I get very good Sth to Sth West views but I keep my aim high for photo work. Only shoot when it goes above 90* of the SCP and that is marginal.

I've looked at property up around Coatesville way but doesn't suit the rest of our lifestyle. I'm not complaining about our position either. I get enough clearish nights to keep me going even fighting the LP.
Up on a ridge up north, have you tried to spot Andromeda ? 13" above horizon but it should be just visible on a clear night. One of my ambitions in life to see that big sucker.