View Single Post
Old 19-03-2018, 03:30 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Opinions on ATIK428EX

Hi, I've been using the ASI1600MC-C for a few months now. I LOVE this thing, takes great fast pics with a large fov and cools down nice and low and draws next to nothing from the battery. HOWEVER, I've only been able to get usable images from dark sites and limited results with CLS filter. I'm looking for a mono camera version of the ASI1600MM-M but just wondering what other options there are. I've even had a look at a couple of CCD chips as opposed to the CMOS sensors (like the zwo).

I'm looking for some opinions and reviews on the ATIK428EX Mono as I've been offered one for trade. There are some great images taken with this camera but hardly any user reviews on it. I know that the sensor size is quite small compared to the 1600 but the sensor is quite sensitive and the small body keeps the power draw at a minimum. A small sensor also means cutting costs on narrowband filters as I can use 1.25" instead of the expensive 2" sizes (and I already own a 1.25" 6nm Ha CCD filter). Price wise its definitely an upgrade but whether or not it'll be better (i.e. having to mosaic with larger targets) is another issue. Note that i'll most likely be imaging with my ED127 so around 970mm fl. Although I am planning on getting a wide field WO71ED or similar.

Thanks
Tony