View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 PM
ninja2 (Chris)
Chris

I just tried to connect my ETX-90 to my PC but Audiostar will not connect.

I don't have an RS232 port on my PC so I purchased the Meade 07507 USB-Serial cable, but later saw on this Meade web page that it is the earlier version (with the mid-cable lump) that will not work with Win10. So I put it aside and purchased a plain old USB-RS232 cable from local MSY Technology store.

When I connect the Audiostar handbox to the PC a new port appears in Device Manager > Ports as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Port (COM3)" although it has the dreaded yellow exclamation mark. I've installed the Prolific driver downloaded from Meade. I 've installed Autostar Suite and told it to use COM3.

But when I choose Telescope > Protocal > Autostar via Serial Port (F6) I an error box pops up with "Can't open COM3 : GetLastError returned 2".

As mentioned I'm using the Meade #505 cable set, but not the newer version of the Meade 07507 cable. I see one for sale on eBay but it's from USA and will take a few weeks.

Any suggestions appreciated! In particular do I need to fork out for the newer Meade cable, or should a common USB-RS232 cable do? If yes, is there an Australian supplier of these (my Google Search showed none)?

thanks