View Single Post
Old 15-03-2011, 09:43 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Solar System & DSO sketches

Hi everyone,

The purpose of this thread is act as a gallery of illustrations of all things to do with the Solar System and Deep Sky Objects. The Moon has its own sketching thread, and Lunar work is best placed there.

You've got a sketch you would like to share? This is the place for it.

A write up of the experience is most welcome such as the gear you used, conditions, site, date, points of interest, etc. More formal observational reports would be best placed in the Obs. Report sub-forum.

---

I'll get the ball rolling with one of my own.

The one on Saturn was done way back in '94 using my C5. It was the first time I noticed the shadow of the disk cast back onto the rings, and the 'C' (?) ring on the inside of the rings. Cassisini's division was easily visible as was ring's shadow on the planet's disk. Some cloud features were visible too. This vista made a deep impression on me as it gave me a real "3D" feel with the planet, and left me in no doubt about the quality of this little scope,

At the time I didn't think I'd be able to spot Titan, or any other of Saturn's moons, so I'm not sure if any of the surrounding "stars" are Titan and cohorts, .

Object: Saturn
Date: July '94
Scope: Celestron C5
Gear: Vixen LV 5mm (250X)
Site: Backyard in Sydney
Conditions: Very good still air for Sydney, and good transparency.
Media: coloured pencils and ink on white paper, cut-out and pasted onto black paper

Cheers,

Mental.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn '94.jpg)
147.1 KB746 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 15-03-2011 at 10:04 AM.