View Single Post
Old 17-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Cheers Dave (and like the Poodle profile pic!). I already do starless tone maps for each narrowband channel, combining them and working on colour, and then add to this a combined Ha/O3/S2 luminance, which gives me back nice tight white stars. After getting a quick LRGB image for the stars (not sure if I need the L?) I’ve used Rick’s method of separating the L,a,b channels of both the SHO and LRGB and then blending the a and b channels with a star mask made from the SHO image. With an iterative approach I can get some okay star colour. However when I compare the narrowband stars to those Andy (and others) have in their images I reckon I’m missing the natural ‘dazzle’ I associate with nice star images. Maybe I need to shrink the LRGB stars to match the narrowband profiles in the star mask more (enough to get the LRGB core colour without over-saturating the LRGB image) or maybe work on the L channel somehow to add the LRGB star profiles? The star mask is all rather crucial and often introduces some unwanted background colour and diffraction spikes are left out of the mix altogether. Think maybe another approach is required? Maybe PS is another software necessary to indulge in?

Last edited by Benjamin; 18-08-2019 at 04:21 AM.