View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Installing Registax under Windows 10 - MSVCR100.DLL goes walkabout

A few months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Everything worked fine except:

(a) My sound card stopped working
(b) My venerable and much loved Borland C++ Builder decided that it was unregistered. When I tried reinstalling it horror struck. Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 claimed that MSVCR100.DLL had disappeared, along with some other DLL's.

Trying to reinstall Visual Studio from the discs, infuriatingly, failed because, wait for it ... MSVCR100.DLL was missing. So it was not a VS problem but a Windows 10 problem.

I restored the system to a recent restore point, and hey, Presto, Visual Studio was working again. I now have to run Borland on a Windows 7 machine.

Yesterday, in a fit of insanity, I installed Registax 6 on my Windows 10 machine. Registax worked (about as well as it ever works - again it is a much loved program, but it does tend to crash). And, yes, you've guessed it, Microsoft Visual Studio said that MSVCR100.DLL was missing.

System restore.
Visual studio working again, but of course no sign of Registax.

Up jumps the squatter, mounted on his throughbred. Norton Antivirus says "Updating one squillion virus signatures ... but RED ERROR PANEL ... running Norton AutoFix. There. Fixed.

MSVCR100.DLL is now missing.
Waaah!

Decided that either it was time to change hobbies, or perhaps Norton tried updating things in a funny order and stuffed up.

System restore (yawn)
Let Norton AutoFix run before doing anything else
Fixed
Visual Studio working fine.
All cured.

(Happy interlude: the attempted installation of Registax 6 was to try registering a stack of ten 16 megapixel images of the moon. It said "0% complete", and half an hour later still said "0% complete." My own Prometheus, never ever designed to stack images of the moon, incredibly just worked, at the default settings, and had it nicely stacked in about 20 seconds. It successfully treated the highlights on small craters as stars :-) ).

The moral of the story seems to be that perchance installing ANY much loved and much trusted pre-Windows-10 32 bit program that does things to the registry (certainly Borland C++ Builder and Registax 6) somehow zaps MSVCR100.DLL and probably several other important DLLS.

Has anyone else experienced MSVCR100.DLL disappearing under similar circumstances?