View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM
rally

Bert,

Ahh - I see there are two separate posts about this device.
I should have read the other one !

The OTA should be able to handle this weight - that is what it was designed to do.
With a similar weight except that it is mostly cantilevered by the 300mm it has extended from the back of the OTA with field flattener, OAG, lots of adapters etc etc, I had a similar problem, replaced two FLI focussers and that fixed most of it, the rest was in a badly made adapter which needed remachining.

From your description it sounds mostly like an adapter/connection problem than normal flexure in the tube or mirror attachment.
I had a similar problem, replaced the FLI focusser and that fixed most of it, the rest was in a badly made adapter which needed remachining.

So without rotation, when you do an automated meridian flip and the CCD is now 'upside down', how do you manage the position of the guide chip ? - its no longer on the same star, its on the opposite side of the field.
I guess at 600mm maybe there will always be a guidestar somewhere to be found - hopefully, but not always.
At least you don't need two sets of flats per image now ! but you will have to flip your rotated images in processing.

Cheers
Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
As it is Marki as it is very solid and accurately machined.

Rally all image trains have flexure. The RH200 has a bit more than 8kg or 18lb on the back of it.

There is no need to rotate a square sensor with a FoV of 3.5X3.5 degrees.

There is more in this thread

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=92636

I may tack this post onto it as explains what is going on.

Bert