View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 AM
ptc (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Yes, I can understand that. You are obviously referring to the non-D9F configuration of the Uxxx designs. At least I hope you are, as you would also be implying the FLI PL isn't efficient. The Apogee D9F configuration is near identical as the FLI PL with the three fans blowing air through the heat sink. The only difference being the Apogee D9 has a larger heat sink than the FLI PL in both depth and width, but the heat sink/air flow design is fundamentally the same.

Power supply. See note above to Greg's response. I'll order an "official" replacement power supply from Apogee. What I've got works, but there is no way I could operate at 95% cooling power with the current supply. I pushed the camera last night and achieved 48C below ambient but MaximDL was reporting 10.9V UNDERVOLTAGE. I've got a lab report for the camera that indicates it was tested out as 62C below ambient so I'm assured its not the camera...time to get ordering.
yes the non-D9 Version... the D9 has adopted a non-stagnating configuration for the fan/heatsink as was a feature of the PL and ML from FLI from the get-go

As for your power supply issue: it is disappointing to spend a fortune on a camera to later discover they have a power supply that doesn't measure up to the task for which it was assigned. It may be that the better cooling offered by the D09 option uses more current than the original configuration and that they failed to account for that by shipping with the same old power supply.

It could be a simple oversight but it is nonetheless disappointing to spend that much money and get less than what you paid for.

For the record the FLI cameras have no such anomalies even at 100% power. They have no cooling headroom at 100% of course but they at least supply sufficient current and work correctly there.

Again I regularly operate mine at 95-97% power with no bad effects. For my 39Mpixel with its two output amplifiers, any sort of error in cooling will reveal the seam from the two sides... it is that sensitive to dark signal/dark cal frame mismatches.