View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
gregbradley

It is an interesting thread. I run my ML8300 either at -35C or -40C. There are a few hot nights in summer where it may struggle to achieve -40C but it always will reach -35C in less than 5 minutes.

The Proline I also run at -35C and it achieves that again almost all year round except for the odd really hot summer night which is not that common for me. I have run the Proline at -40C in winter but as mentioned there is no discernible difference and -40C isn't
achieveable all year round.

I noticed originally when I had an STL11 how much cleaner the image was when on those rare cold winter nights I could get it to go to -35C.
It certainly was the sweet spot for that particular camera.

Dark noise is never an issue with my images from these FLI cameras.
They are close to noise free but there is still some slight improvement from darks.

Jase I would be going for lower temps with your D09. It has powerful cooling.
The only thing that may get in your road is the firmware. It is designed to work out its
own setpoint. So you could tell it to go to -40C and it should but the firmware may kick in
if the % power is beyond its programmed setting (80%?? - ask Apogee what they set it to).

My U16M would do that occassionally which can upset an imaging run if you are not expecting it.
I suppose though it will happen in the first 35 minutes. That's when I asked it to achieve too high
a cooling number but my one was the standard cooling package not the D09. I never saw a voltage
warning either. But then the D09 no doubt draws a lot more power. Perhaps it is a firmware issue
rather than an actual voltage issue.

I had a vertical line which is common with 16803 chips develop about 2 months ago where there were none.
I have a particularly clean chip which was hand picked. Fresh darks got rid of it. Also these lines as Richard
pointed out fade with heavier cooling and are less of an issue. They used to drive me crazy with my STL11
as they sometimes would not dark subtract out with that camera for some odd reason. Perhaps I did something
wrong with the dark subtract.

Greg.