View Single Post
Old 24-10-2011, 05:13 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadgalaxyman View Post
thanks, Ron, for the interesting observation.

It does seem, from your observation, that the SN at present is not really an easy object, even for a 16 inch.

I had always thought that a visual magnitude limit of about 15, for a ten inch telescope, was a reasonable figure which is in accord with reality , as per Bradley E. Schaefer's often cited investigation of telescopic magnitude limits in this paper: (1990), PASP, 102, 212

As a 16 inch has 2.5 times the light gathering power of a 10 inch, that ought to add another one magnitude to this limit (that is, a limiting magnitude of magn. 16), but Schaefer's detailed investigation finds that this is a little optimistic.....his figure 1 gives something closer to 15.75 magnitude as a realistic limit for a 16 inch.
Thanks Robert, yes I had to spend some time at times teasing it out,but other times it was quite plainly seen.
As you would be well aware that is for optimum conditions, such as age of person,clarety of sky,observers experience ect.
I would estimate the SN to be at about 14.8 mag or fainter.
I have observed supernova of 14.5 mag in my 20cm SCT in the past from my site here in Cambroon so your figure of 15.7 would be a fair one for the 40 cm.
I think I have observed one supernova at 15.1 mag in the past but that was on an exceptional night.
I hope the supernova gets a bit brighter but dont think it will be any better than Mag 13 or so.
Cheers