View Single Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:30 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound31 View Post
Thanks Troy. I think I will have to make a bar for my camera to attach to my ball-head further rearward so the objective lens becomes the pivot point.
As long as you have enough light to shoot hand held given the focal length of your lens, and are able to pan smoothly, you can do panos without a tripod. I wouldn't try it beyond about 70mm. Any good stitching software can cope with uneven edges. Unless your target is extremely close there's no need to worry about the pivot point on a tripod. It would be simpler to take more frames and have more overlap.

Try not to use wide angle lenses. Unless you have something like AutoPano Pro which can do field flattening to remove distortion, the images will not stitch well.

I adhere to the 1/3 overlap method. You can shoot in portrait if that gives you enough height for the width. If I want something squarer, I'll shoot two passes with both horizontal and vertical overlaps.

I have a few images with aspect like 10:1 (that is 25114x2348), 9:2, 17:4, 3:1 because that suited the target.

As for mounting, you will probably find you'll need to crop and scale to fit standard frames and matts. Or if that would destroy the composition, get them made for you, or get the gear and make your own.