Thread: Switching Gear
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 AM
gregbradley

Don't want to rain on your parade but I have yet to see an impressive astroimage from one of those types of scopes. Bloated stars, not sharp, lacking detail, not good contrast. Am I being too harsh?

I don't see how you can get awesome images from a giant corrector lens mass produced that would be hard to make really perfectly and to the standard of an APO scope. Also what standard are the mirrors? I did not think Celestron made 1/10th wave type mirrors.

Are there good example images around?

That Sony 60mp full frame sensor if it were a mono version, potentially would be an amazing beast. Nice on an FSQ, the smaller pixels and high MP could make for some really fine detailed images if you had good seeing.

Although you could find out how good or not from using a Sony A7Rii or iii on an FSQ and get an idea. Its much the same sensor with more MP and probably faster throughput. BSI, copper wiring, dual gain amplifier.
It may have some advanced Bayer matrix but that may be on the new 32mp sensor (most likely will appear in the upcoming Sony A7Siii).

I'd want to see what the A7Siii is first as its been promised to be more than expected and a new type of sensor is rumoured (different type of Bayer matrix and clever binning ability like in some smart phone cameras). It potentially would be the better sensor for astro (if they further fix the star eater issue which can cause some green stars in 25% of faint stars confused as hot pixels by a poorly designed spatial filter - Nikon also uses one but its better but still causes issues on some cameras). Canon thankfully have not adopted this spatial filtering of RAWs to reduce hot pixel noise (its not even that effective anyway).

Greg.