View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

My weakest point too but seems related to the focuser rather than SGP and settings. Having said that I did refine and tighten up my standard Skywatcher focuser and found after some trial and error I had to compensate about 150 steps in (heavyish gear attached) and its seems to work (using a Rigel nSTEP system). When focusing I bin 2x2 to reduce noise (with narrowband especially SGP can mistake noise for stars) and worked out my step size as per the SGP instructions. Could change star detection parameters and subtract darks I guess but not got that far. Not game to use filter offsets given the focuser isn’t that reliable - would get slightly different results every time I think. Not much help really but keen to see others responses too. Probably a lot more I can do as well. For a while I didn’t use the autofocus routine and got close to focus with a Bahtinov Mask and then manually fiddled with the focuser unitl I had the best HFR readings I could get. Quite quick to do and probably quicker than the autofocus routine.