View Single Post
Old 15-10-2020, 11:11 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
It seems really good seeing is quite rare in the Newcastle area. Many years ago when my scope was new I had it at a mates at Raymond Terrace. Just before dawn I saw my best visual look at Saturn ever. The Sutching mirror showed even tiny Enckes Division as a sharp thin line and dusky spokes easily visible on the rings. Never seen Saturn so good since.
Yeah, during our 5 year move to Newie 2007 - 2012, I imaged from Thornton, Kurri Kurri and New Lambton and all were noticeably worse than here in and around Canberra I had the then new AG12, set up in my mums backyard in New Lampton for over a year and never got good seeing The first night back and set up just outside Canberra on our return in late 2012, it was a revelation ...I had actually started to doubt the quality of the optics in my AG12 surely the seeing couldnt be soft every night...surely??..but yep, the seeing in the Newie area is, generally, just crap, certainly compared to the Canberra region anyway, that is for sure! Ok for wide field low resolution imaging, ie imaging at 3.5"/pix or higher should be fine but at 0.84"/pix....just a waste of image scale