View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM
astrospotter (Mark)

Labeled DSS charts using MegaStar

My main labeled chart tool is using MegaStar 5 that integrates with the RealSky DSS cd set. The real bummer is you just cannot find that CD set for RealSky any longer AND it is copyrighted so it is illegal to give it away! I was fortunate enough to find a used set of RealSky full north and south sky images so that is a very valuable tool. I am stunned that other supported charting programs still don't have integration with full DSS like MegaStar did AND it has to be a full DSS that can be purchased.

The SMC and LMC charts I took came about in different ways but the one I ended up using was a Jason Jennings image with my own overlays for labels
http://63.201.54.197/astrospotter.co...gs_Labeled.jpg Of course it is not ok to sell this image by Jason without his approval but I suspect it is ok to let you guys see it.

Above is not complete but the targets I wanted to observer are labeled. I stumbled on a lot of mystery clusters not labeled in the image in the dead-center of the SMC that are yet to be identified.