View Single Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

@Marki
Yep Mark, well understand about the resultant "rough" cut of the threads from non-T6061 material - had a very good mate who has all the gear inc lathe, mill etc try to do one for me and I sacrificed one of my old adaptor (you know that the best way to cut a threaded adaptor is to use an actual one for a template) and yep it wasn't any good - plus wanting to buy a small length of an ali round bar can be an exercise to say the least; had gone to Alcan and said I wanted just a 200mm length of 75mm diameter ali RB and it took the bugger something like 25mins to work out that it would cost me $35!! but I finally grabbed the piece and ran out before he might just take another 25mins to tell me that it was the wrong price!!
My mate finally did say to me he had to custom-grind a bit to suit the 0.75 pitch and he's kept it aside with my name tagged to it, unfortunately he can't do anymore for me till after October 2012 because he's gone out of Perth!
Agreed to that fact there's really no standard to all the threads we use in astro gears and experienced exactly what you described - couldn't match the T2 thread of the adaptor from TS yet it fitted the T2 thread of the StarShoot AG but not the T2 of my STX FW - go figure!

@Tandum
Thanks Robin for the information - Phew! glad that Theo did make a typo though I wouldn't have picked a bone with him until I actually experienced issue of that nature!! Heheh! Good one though, what a relief!

Thanks too for the link to the M54M/M adaptor source
Hmmm! That filterwheel carousel looks very similar to the StarlightXpress' one - wonder if they are interchangeable at all - do you know? -but it is good to know if there's an alternative for the "just-in-case" type of scenario

I've got my Baader NBs + LRGB but unable to use it at the moment because it is 50.4mm and having the issue sorted out anyway, waiting for the right ones to arrive - though from the website and reading something that says "NEW - the original 50mm version has now been adjusted to allow 50.8mm (2 inch) unmounted filters to be fitted." one can infer that the new ones are all made to fit 50.8mm filters, however it seems that this is not so but an option!! Didn't think that my English comprehension is that poor! The important thing is that both the dealer and myself are out of pocket!!
But it was good of the dealer to sort it out for me immediately so I'm happy about that except I can't do anything about the loss of time

Cheers
Bill

Last edited by Visionoz; 26-04-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Changed dimension of filter's diameter