View Single Post
Old 27-09-2018, 06:56 AM
nsavage (Nick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
There are trade offs everywhere in astronomy and though on paper the dollar figures and spec numbers imply suitability or even overkill for use. Reality is you need Rock Solid stability plus high precision construction for good use of gear and possible future proofing. The EQ5 is a good start but its nowehere near an end game tripod mount. you cant put anything on it that negates its limitations. So if you accept that then fine. Otherwise EQ6 or 8 may be where you need to be aiming if you want to avoid the upgrade stepping stones in the long run. There's work in setting up and maintaining whatever you get. A seemingly overkill mount now with whatever OTA you have will be great and give you room to save for bigger better OTAs down the track you can swap on. Maybe you'll want two mounted side by side for visual and photo use. If you get a mount that does the job now but maybe at a struggle wont have room to grow when you're ready to. Get the mount right and you have a solid accurate foundation to add gear onto. No need to get everything at once.
Thanks Sil

Coming in to this I am aware of and accepting of the limitations of the HEQ5 mount. I would love to just grab the EQ6 mount and possibly the 8 inch scope but unfortunately that is out of the question for now. Having read the comments here and elsewhere I have settled on the 6 inch f/5 with the HEQ5 mount. I know I will have to look to upgrade in the future but for now this seems like a great starting setup and should suit me for a couple of years at least.