Thread: Eyepieces
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2018, 07:20 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

There has already been some very good advice here.

If you have a fast newt then you have to be very careful of what eyepiece design you buy. Different telescope types have different focal plane curvatures, eyepieces have different curvatures that match certain types of scopes.

I have a moderately fast dob f5.6 so I have invested in Naglers which work well with fast Newts. Naglers are a decent investment.

If you are making long term investments, then you have to think about what type of telescope you might buy in the future.

SCT's like your 6SE at f10 are typically very forgiving of eyepiece design so you can use almost any of the economy designs. GSO Super plossls are very cheap and reasonable. The GSO Superviews are good bang for the buck. Some of the Superviews are 2" eyepieces.

I think your 6SE only accepts 1 1/4" but not 2" eyepieces. So that will limit you to the shorter 15mm and 20mm Superviews and Super Plossls for longer eyepieces.

Quote:
A lot of members here have posted great info about eyepieces. Two whose comments are always thoughtful and considered are ausastronomer and Mental4astro, but there are many others as well. Mental's research into matching eyepiece type to scope type is very interesting...
I would +1 the above comment. These two have tested many eyepiece and telescope combinations. search for their posts in the eyepieces thread. Well worth a read.

Joe