View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Just like any electronic device, the thermal sensor is a small electronic component and usually gets soldered onto the board as close to the heat source as possible and rarely touching. Like a computer motherboard has one on the board sometimes under or directly next to the cpu. Maybe these days they are built into chips directly that rely on cooling. So don't believe the values themselves they tend to be meaningless. You want to see differential though, so you know the cooling is working at all times. Just turning on your camera itself may negate the cooling effect. Its not about cooling to a target temp so much as displacing the generated heat quickly. Don't forget thermal greases and glues need to be applied particular ways otherwise they become insulators.
In the 450D I got the small temp probe for the cooling system hard up against the side of the imaging chip and on the metal frame that supports it. Other than thermal gradient across the sensor it should have picked up the sensor temp as accurately as was possible.
It was sensitive enough to detect very small changes quite rapidly when I adjusted the power to the Peltier. About 5-6 volts gave me a steady 5* C and about a 20 *C delta dependent on ambient temp of course.
This was enough to be effective in managing chip noise but without causing condensation problems.