View Single Post
Old 30-07-2019, 10:38 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
One benefit of owning cheaper gear is that I can risk cleaning/modifying it myself. I might not be so quick to dive into a several thousand dollar camera.

They are similar to meccano sets though - everything just clips or screws together - just need to be careful not to zap anything with static electricity.
I fully agree but even then and I am not being pompous, I have sat may times at events and seen and this is NOT a derogatory term, amateurs, opening their camera bags, removing their lenses from their, well multi wrapped packaging putting them on the bodies and wiping them off like a new baby, Fine and good for them, then the rest of us working pros tracksite pick ours up off the floor and shoot away, that does not mean we do not LOOK after our gear, but remember.....

"If it ain't broke leave it alone"

You can over coddle things, eg, I often read people on photo forums who swear by placing a chamois leather over their gear when it starts to spit with rain as they believe it absorbs the wet.

Nothing worse for your gear than the damp and more.. condensation that then gets into the gear from a damp chamois leather or cloth, better a plastic bag with a hole for the lens