View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Thanks Goran :-)

I was thinking if I went the mono route I would just acquire the ccd for now, and get the filter wheel and filters later, as more funds become available. There's much to be said for B&W images anyway, in my opinion :-)

As for imaging time, I've read that a lot of mono enthusiasts believe that they ultimately take the same amount of time. I'm not sure how that works out, unless the monos are more sensitive; I understand the only difference there to be the fact that in one the photons pass through a colour filter array, reducing the resolution by splitting them into four pixels on the sensor - RGGB, whereas the mono just grows straight to the sensor.

To my understanding the difference between these (besides being OSC and mono) is that the OSC has a temperature set point so darks, if I need to take them, would be easier because it would always be the same temperature, whereas the 314E just cools to whatever it can. I understand that darks are likely to be unnecessary with these cameras though, in a lot of cases, so the impact of that seems limited.

The other obvious point of difference between the two is pixel size and FOV. I'd actually prefer the FOV of the 314E, so that's not a problem. Pixel size apparently affects noise as well though, but looking at the specs they both claim the same noise metric.

I think I'll go with the 314E because the only absolute benefit I can see (unless the sensor is vastly better on the OSC) is the temperature control, which doesn't seem to justify the restrictions of OSC and also the lack of warranty I'd get by buying it used.