View Single Post
Old 23-05-2017, 01:50 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I've seen mention of using Argon several times. I've never done this before, so excuse my lack of knowledge here - how do you get the gas into the camera?
Two ways to do it: 1. Argon is heavier than air. Remove the AR cover glass from the top screw on section of the camera. Its easy to do, but i suggest you do it off the camera. The round cover glass has an external retaining ring which screws onto the top section. Remove the screws, and pop the cover glass loose from the opposite side, it sits on a silicon sealing ring. It is thin glass, do not break it. Once the cover glass is out, replace the top section of the camera, which screws down on its own silicon sealing ring. Now, with the sensor pointing upward, you can feed Argon into the top of the camera, it will displace any air in the sensor area, and it will stay in there because it is heavier than air. Turn off the gas and quickly put the AR round window back in the top section of the camera and screw diwn the retaining ring to complete the seal. Btw you should clean the cover glass on both sides before you reinstall, in case you touched the surface.
2. The second way is easier, use an Argon (or dry gas) box. I have used this method for my DSLR cold finger air purge and it works well. Just get a small plastic storage box, a 13L one is what i use, its deep enough for your camera. Remove the top section of the camera. Fill the storage box with Argon, it will displace any air in the camera and box, screw the top of the camera back on to seal it against the silicon ring, that's it. Finished.
You can buy small Argon bottles from Bunnings in the Tools section, its used as a welding shielding gas. You will need a gas bottle regulator, heaps of cheap ones on ebay, a short section of clear hose for the regulator barb, that is all you need.
Of course you cannot see Argon, so some estimation is required as too how much is sufficent to fill the box deep enough, you can find the fill point with a lit match, as you lower it into the box the Argon will extinguish the flame at its surface.
The 1st method uses less Argon but is more involved. Btw you can use any dry gas that does not transport moisture (like Nitrogen), do not use CO2.

Last edited by glend; 23-05-2017 at 02:02 PM.