View Single Post
Old 14-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Wowbagger

Beginner considering 6" or 8" Dob

Hi all,

I'm about to reach deep into my pockets for the first time so I can hopefully reach deep into the sky. I am a beginner, in that I've only ever owned a dept. store scope that could barely see the moon with clarity. Now, after weeks of researching and procrastination (and saving), I am just about ready to fork out for either a 6 or 8 inch Dobsonian. But I have a couple of questions I want to ask.

The first question is this: should I get a 6" or 8" scope to begin? After much research, I do realise that this is a bit of a stupid question, bigger is better, so get what I can afford... but the 8" would be stretching my budget to the limit, the 6" might leave some room for accessories if needed. Am I better with a 6" + filters and eyepiece? or should I start big with an 8" using default accessories (and maybe get accessories down the track)? I have been looking at the SkyWatcher SW580 and SW680 (6" and 8" respectively), because they seem well priced and recommended.

Just a bit more on this subject, as a complete beginner, will it actually be EASIER to use a smaller scope? ie. do the added deep sky benefits of the 8" result in more difficult operation? Is it a bit like buying a Ferrari for a first car?

Finally, living in the suburbs of Sydney with terrible light pollution (can't see that many stars), will either of these produce better or worse images because of this? And further, would the 8" be much more difficult to lug around in my small Toyota? They both have a focal length of 1200mm due to the f ratio, does this mean the tube will be exactly the same length on both?

Oh yeah, and in case your wondering what I want to see, the planets (jupiter & saturn) in particular, but maybe even DSO's if I get good enough.

Sorry about a long initial post, and please go easy on me if any of my questions are rediculous

Finally, I just want to say that this is a great site, in my first few weeks of research I have found myself back here on numerous occassions from Google, which is why I finally decided I should join and pick your brains in person.