View Single Post
Old 16-11-2020, 10:32 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
What's your take on bayer drizzle and drizzle integration.
There's nothing about drizzling that makes up detail, so I'd say go your hardest
(And if it's good enough for the fine folks at NASA and the HST, then it's good enough for me!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
That argument seems a little simplistic Ivo - can we not be/do both ie: create art from scientifically valid astro images?
I totally agree of course that every image is an interpretation of barely visible photon counts. That's already 50% art right there.
Quote:
The debate about what's real or not is hugely subjective, as none of us have a warp capable starship to prove any of it,
We don't need to! Us mere mortals with our puny scopes can readily compare our images to - for example - majestic Hubble closeups to see if what we captured is real if it is i doubt.
Quote:
so why wouldn't you delight in something that helps ground based imaging punch through atmospheric distortion?
I'd be all for it, but that's unfortunately not at all what we're looking at here.
(and we have deconvolution - an actual working tool - for that very purpose )
Quote:
This is simply the next tool in refinement of post processes. Did everyone scream it's not real when digital imaging arrived? or CMOS, or wavelet sharpening, or starmasks, etc...
Even if you are not across how neural nets (and training thereof) work fundamentally, we still don't have to guess whether something is real. We can hop on to the Hubble Heritage website, look up our object and download a dataset (great fun in itself!). Or we can check some of the work done by our peers on AstroBin etc.
Quote:
AI is here to stay, and it's learning - just hope no-one founds Skynet anytime soon and we'll all be fine
AI has been around for a long, long time (and what's considered AI keeps being pushed; remember when a chess computer was considered "AI"?). Like you, I'm also 100% convinced a practical application of deep learning for AP will come along some day, but this sort of simplistic data augmentation by detail hallucination is definitely not it.
(and let me be clear that I really, really want this to happen; I studied AI at the University of Amsterdam and I'm an AP algorithm nut )

Until then, wishing you clear skies!