Thread: Newbie here!
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2017, 09:35 AM
tmz (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Tim
welcome to IceInSpace
A little pitting should not make much difference to viewing.
Skywatcher and Saxon are very similar and related.
Skywatcher being the more expensive version.

I have heard it said that a dob mirror should last about 10 years if looked after before the mirror coating starts to deteriorate (recoating is possible).

Both saxon and skywatcher sell collapsible dobs, which are easy to set up and easy to transport and easy to use.
Other Dob models such as Meade Orion and GSO are more a demountable type, which take a bit longer to assemble, but are more flexible to transport (separate units).
GSO are cheaper, but many people swear by them.
Orion are generally a little better optically, but often a bit more expensive. Although occasionally you can pick up a good special at Bintel.

I have had 3 skywatcher Dobs, and I like them a lot and recommend them.
I have had several SCTs and I would (now) always recommend a Dob over an SCT for visual use. Bigger bang for buck and brighter image. (IMHO).

Hope this helps.
Thanks Allan!
I thought the pitting on my 8" mirror was just dust, and thought the whole thing was dusty, so i followed a youtube video on how to clean it carefully although as soon as i pulled the mirror out i knew its days were over. The coating is pretty worn out. It looks as if it has a big layer of dust on it but its not dusty.
Thanks for the info, defiently keen on the skywatcher or saxon collapsible.

Also - the GSO plossls i own have, some have a green tinge on the EP. I have read this can be from oil from eyelashes? They still seemed to work okay on my 8". Will these be okay to use on a 10"? Or should i look at upgrading? I dont really want to spend a fortune on a televue yet.
I have these GSO EPs, 25mm, 15mm, 9mm, 6mm