View Single Post
Old 29-06-2008, 03:16 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellx View Post
Hi Zuts

I am very impressed with the photo you posted. I have just started to dip my toe into the imaging waters, and I have a 400D. But I can get nowhere near what you have shown.

I would be very interested in some info on how you did it - how many images were stacked; duration of the exposures; software you use for the processing.

Thanks
Darrell
Hi Darrell,

That was taken a while back, if i remember correctly

Televue 85, 0.8 reducer on EQ6
Meade ED 80 guide scope, guided with PHD.
12 by 5 minute subs, 3 or 4, 5 minute darks, no ICNR
Stacked in DSS with basic levels and curves in PS2

Any photo will look OK as long as you observe the following:-

(1) Spend time on the focus, if it's not well focussed the stars will look horrible and so will the photo. I used to spend about 20 minutes focussing with a program called FocusAssist and an on screen magnifier.

(2) Get polar aligned at a FL greater than the imaging FL. In my case I would spend about 40 minutes drift aligning with a final iteration using a Barlow. If you arnt decently polar aligned the photo will look horrible with bloated stars and trailing.

(3) Use a flattener, pointy stars at the edges detract from any image.

(4) On the average setup, EQ6, always use autoguiding. If you dont autoguide you are wasting your time as you wont be able to go for more than a minute without star trailing which will ruin the photo.

(5) Try to never go less than 5 minute subs. 10 minutes is better but it depends on your alignment if you can achieve this.

(6) For DSO's never take less than 60 minutes of data. The more data the less noise and it will be easier to process.

(7) Always take darks and flats. Though the above image had no flats it would be better if i took them.

It sounds a lot but the basics are

FOCUS
GOOD POLAR ALIGNMENT
AUTO GUIDING
AS MUCH DATA AS POSSIBLE
DARKS/FLATS

If you get these basics right your images may not be great but they will be good.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by Zuts; 29-06-2008 at 03:29 PM.