View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 12:44 PM
JohnF (John)

Have just purchased a 10 inch mirror on a mount – different mount to the one in my 10 inch Newtonian, THIS MIRROR BEING in fairly good, but not perfect condition, for only $40 on Gumtree. It is lost its coat on a couple of small spots on its edge, abut overall it is not too bad.

Not counting that it only has half a donut in the centre of the mirror – that should be enough for me to get it aligned, once I do have a Laser Collimation tool.

My existing mirror had its coating in very bad condition, but as the scope owes me under $60, I cant complain – Some people donated money towards my planned Outreach, most from strangers I met.

My secondary mirror badly needs re-coating, so still have to solve that problem. BUT, as long as I can get the 10 inch home undamaged – undamaged coating that is, I have solved one of my problems with my Telescope.

I am traveling home from Sydney to the QLD border by XPT train, hitchhiking the last 45km to my home. Do have it well padded – hope plastic shopping bag cannot stick to its Coating.

Not sure I can use that mirror mount as yet, but hopefully so, as it is very different to my Aluminium mount, and has different Screws holding it to the Tube.

She did not know the focal length – my existing one is about F5 or very close, so am hoping that this one is the same. It appears to be a different Brand of Mount and Mirror. If it fits my tube that new mount may be better – have not had a close look yet. That ten inch mirror is what I had wanted.