View Single Post
Old 21-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbunky86 View Post

Is it as easy as chucking in a 2" Barlow between the DSLR and telescope to take the scope up to f12?

I really had to save a lot and stretch finances to afford what I belive to be a good entry level astro imaging setup and would hate have to buy a new mount with better error correction or super expensive 120mm apo.

I noticed a trend towards really fast newts, F4 etc. would this give an even wider view? As compared to an ed80 which is F6.

Any advise would be great
Thanks Jason
An F4 newt won't give a wider view than your ED80 at F6, it will just allow you to image faster, and possibly get more detail.

You can pop in a powermate or barlow into your ED80 to get more up close and personal, but there is a limit to how much detail you can get when the light coming in is restricted to an 80mm diameter.

You could chuck a $400 2nd hand C8 on there and get masses of light and detail, or a 105mm/650 refractor and get quite a bit more detail at the same exposure length and have more room for blowups so to speak.

Borrow a barlow or powermate and see how you go. You will get larger images of distant objects, but will need to take longer exposures.