View Single Post
Old 21-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Although feeling firmly ensconced in astrophotography right now, the visual remains absolutely vital to me. I still get a massive kick out of it and it’s much easier to transfer a love of the night sky showing others what is up there through an eyepiece. Sure you can say “Look at this Ha sub I just took” but actually pointing a scope at something (I love star hopping to a target and identifying little asterisms along the way) focusing, and finding something new (or revisiting an old friend) is a little more tangible somehow. On a recent trip an 11 year old boy got right into using averted vision and was enjoying a view of the Horsehead nebula! I still marvel at what comes from a camera however and I’m not one who has seen every photographic version of an object so there is still a sense of discovery there. The other part I’ve found interesting is that having imaged objects like Eta Carina (and similar objects visible through a telescope) is that I can start to visually pick out details that I’ve learnt through processing the image. Then there’s sketching, prose descriptions of nights out... For me, the visual is more in the moment and the satisfaction is in the seeing whereas the photographic has an endpoint (sort of, after a million reprocesses) that is the photograph itself.