View Single Post
Old 13-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive milne View Post
Paul... I am struggling to understand what you are saying here?
Could you please elaborate.
The mirror cell directly screws into the rear adapters. So any heavy weight on the back end acts like a lever to the entire mirror cell. It cannot create pinched optics as the cell is very rigid and does not twist. I have tried to do that and had to exert a lot of force with a two foot lever on a spare cell I had just to test if this was the problem. The only thing that is holding the mirror cell in place is three screws and the lock screws that go with it. The screws are quite good but are sprung loaded and it is the springs that are moving a little to create the elongation of the stars. In all the tests I did I never saw triangular shaped stars. This problem only seems to come up with heavy loads. I had not such trouble when I tested the scope with the QSI or when I had the STL and focusor on the back. However, once I started putting things on like a rotator and STXL and its heavy filter wheel things changed.

GSO are working on the problem and I am awaiting the modified rear cell assembly. It will have an adapter which bolts directly onto the rear face and then the imaging train screws onto that. There will be a centring adjustment to sort out optical alignment too.