View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM
loc46south (Geoffrey)
loc46south

First Impressions of GSO 12" R/C Truss

I have had a number of PM's regarding the 12" GSO TRuss I purchased a few weeks ago - a few members were considering purchasing one in the near future. Here is my experience so far :-

The telescope has been set up on a Losmandy G-11 mount - I understand that the OTA is nearing the max load specs for the G-11 but providing that it is carefully balanced it performs without any hiccups - as a precaution I reduced the slew speed to 500 otherwise no changes were made.

Last friday night the skies cleared enough for me to attempt to collimate the unit, a preliminary check with a Takahashi Collimation scope had shown it to be out of alignment. The stock focuser was removed and replaced with a Moonlite CSL 2.5in Motorised Crayford and the camera used was a SBIG ST10XME.

Preliminary images showed the unmistakable sign of badly pinched optics - subsequent investigations over the weekend show that this is a common fault with 12" GSO R/C's and the matter has now been refered back to the Retailer. I would caution anone considering a similar purchase to think carefully before buying. It is now a matter of watch this space.

Cheers
Geof Wingham
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20_sec_2x2.00000052 Pinced Optics - No2.jpg)
69.1 KB337 views
Click for full-size image (20_sec_2x2.00000056 Pinched Optics.jpg)
37.4 KB314 views