View Single Post
Old 22-09-2018, 07:24 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I would do the alignment the other way around, do the drift pointed at the meridian first then low in the west. I do it that way as you can point the scope at the meridian and be basically dead on it, meaning that the azimuth alignment of the mount is the only error that will show up in the drift of the star used, but when doing the altitude by pointing at a star near the horizon you are likely to be pointing 15 degrees or more up from horizontal so any star drift is caused by a mix of any errors in altitude AND azimuth. Basically at the zenith you can isolate the azimuth error and not be trying to adjust out what is actually a result of two different errors, doing the alt alignment you cant isolate to just altitude error.

I would not get too hung up on which way to adjust the mount to correct an error in which direction, basically just work it out for yourself. By that I mean start with a deliberate large error in a known direction and get it straight in your own head which way to move the mount to fix it, "Star moves up, move the mount west" etc.